Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Downstairs Powder Room



Taking a break from crocheting and knitting gave me a good excuse to finish up my last couple projects for our downstairs 1/2 bath, so now it's pretty much done! I still need to find something to go on the wall above the towel rack, I just haven't found anything inspiring yet (either to buy or copy).



My first project was to make this faux Roman shade valance. I'm not a sewer, but this was so simple and kinda gave me some confidence to tackle more sewing projects. I love how it turned out!

Next, I saw this tutorial on Tatertots & Jello for a painted rug, and since I'd already bought a couple plain white, super cheap bath mats at Ikea, I had the perfect canvas to give it a try! It took two bottles of acrylic craft paint. I just made my stripes the same width as my masking tape, easy peasy, painted it with a sponge brush, and voila! Couldn't have been easier, and now I have a cute one-of-a-kind and--most important--cheap rug for the room.



I had looked around for a tissue box cover but couldn't really find one--they're probably passe and out of style and no one told me. But I wanted one anyway, and finally found an old one at a local thrift store for a buck. I covered it with Mod Podge and patterned paper. The whole thing took maybe 10 minutes.



Lastly, I had found a piece of art that I really wanted for the room at Hobby Lobby, but the colors were just slightly off. So I took a picture of it and loosely re-created it using two canvases, patterned paper, fabric, a crocheted trim, ribbon, felt, and my Cricut.

1 comment:

liesel said...

it turned out really cute! I love the painted rug.. I love stripes, maybe someday I'll get ambitious and try it.