Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth!


I never would have believed it, but summer has been much more hectic than the school year was! It's been quite an adjustment, having both my daughter and husband home all the time, when I'm used to being on my own all day!  I've been busy creating, I just haven't been so good at taking pictures and blogging. I'm working on it, though!

I didn't even think of doing any decorations for the Fourth of July until last week - I had already done a summer wreath for the front door, and didn't really think of changing it out till fall. But then I was cleaning out my bag and found this pattern for the Star Blanket from Bernat that I'd picked up at Hobby Lobby. I just love all those free patterns at craft stores! I had some red, white, and blue yarn sitting on the table from a previous project, and inspiration struck.


Now, the pattern is for a baby blanket, so I've just continued working in the pattern to make it bigger. In fact, at the point I took this picture I still wasn't quite done with it. I like big blankets to snuggle with! I love the star shape, it's somehing new and unique. I think it'll be great for baby blankets, as well.


I came up with the idea of making a star garland before I was finished with the blanket. I used the beginning rounds of the Star Blanket for the background star, and another pattern from a Red Heart afghan (Stars & Stripes Ripple Throw) for the stars on top. The pennants and letters I kind of made up as I went along, and sewed them all to a chain crocheted holding three strands of yarn together.


I did finally finish a wreath, but I don't love it so I didn't photograph it. I'll work on it some more and it'll be fabulous for next year!

No comments: